Supreme Court Trial Division Grand Bank
T. Alex Hickman Courthouse
P.O. Box 910
Grand Bank, NL
Phone: (709) 832-1720
Fax: (709) 832-2755
History of the Court
Prior to the 1940’s, the Supreme Court travelled on circuit to Grand Bank. Early on in the past century, up until 1945, such circuits were made on a vessel, the “Daisy” that was chartered by the Supreme Court to bring judges and staff, lawyers and Sheriff’s Officers to various sites along the south coast, including to Grand Bank where trials and court appearances were held. Commencing in the 1960’s, judges, staff and lawyers began journeying to Grand Bank via the then newly constructed roadway.
The first resident superior Judge in Grand Bank was Mr. Justice Henry Cummings of the District Court, who took up residence in Grand Bank in 1976. At that time both the Provincial and District Courts shared a courtroom in the Federal Building (where the present Post Office is located) located on the corner of Water and Church Streets in Grand Bank.
This continued up until June 23, 1979, when a new Courthouse which was built at Grand Bank to house the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador, Trial Division, and the Provincial Court of Newfoundland and Labrador.
In 1986 the District Court was merged into the Supreme Court.
In November 2001, this Courthouse was named the Honourable T. Alex Hickman Courthouse in honour of T. Alex Hickman, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador, Trial Division, who originally hailed from Grand Bank and was Minister of Justice at the time construction of the new Courthouse commenced.
Resident Judges serving at Grand Bank were: The Honourable Henry Cummings, The Honourable Gordon Easton, Madam Justice Maureen Dunn, Mr. Justice Wayne Dymond, and Mr. Justice (now Chief Justice) J. Derek Green. Mr. Justice Garrett Handrigan is the present resident Judge.