Supreme Court Trial Division Gander
Law Court Building, 98 Airport Boulevard
P.O. Box 2222
Phone: (709) 256-1115
Fax : (709) 256-1120
History of the Court
The Town of Gander was created in the late 1930’s and 1940’s as a result of the military development of what is now Gander Airport. Prior to 1977, there was no resident superior court judge in Gander. In 1977, the District Court was established at Gander with a full time resident judge. It sat for a short period of time in what was then known as the Magistrate’s Court on Elizabeth Drive. Later that same year that Court moved to premises in the Elizabeth Drive Shopping Centre above the Bank of Nova Scotia on Elizabeth Drive, where it sat until 1986. In 1986, the District Court merged into the Supreme Court.
Commencing in 1982, the Supreme Court circuited to Gander to conduct jury trials and divorces. Up until 1993 the Supreme Court continued to sit in the same location as the District Court had.
In August of 1993, a new Law Courts Building opened on Airport Boulevard which houses both the Supreme and Provincial Courts.
Judges who have served at the Judicial Centre of Gander have been The Honourable Kevin Barry, The Honourable Gordon Easton, Mr. Justice Wayne Dymond and Madam Justice Kendra Goulding. Mr. Justice Raymond Whalen is the present resident judge.