Supreme Court Trial Division Corner Brook
82 Mt. Bernard Avenue
P.O. Box 2006
Corner Brook, NL
Phone: (709) 637-2633
Fax: (709) 637-2569
History of the Court
Prior to 1968, the Supreme Court used to travel to Corner Brook on circuit. Before the Trans Canada Highway was finished in 1965 those circuits occurred by train.
District Court, which was later merged into the Supreme Court, was established in Corner Brook in 1953 and held Court sittings in a building on Brook Street. The Supreme Court on circuit used that same facility on Brook Street to hold court until the 1960’s, when it began to use a building known at that time as the White House, which was located on West Street in Corner Brook. The Western Star Building (where that City’s local newspaper is printed) now sits on that site.
The present home of the Supreme Court is a multi-purpose government office building in Corner Brook, the Sir Richard Squires Building, which opened in 1968. The District Court, prior to its merger with the Supreme Court, was located on the 5th floor of this Building, while the Supreme Court continued to travel on circuit to that City and had its offices and courtrooms located on the 6th floor of this Building. In 1986, the District Court merged into the Supreme Court. Since that time the Supreme Court has occupied both the 5th and 6th floors of the Sir Richard Squires Building.
Resident Judges serving at this Court have been: The Honourable P. Lloyd Soper, The Late Honourable Frederick R. Woolridge, Mr. Justice Denis Roberts, Madam Justice Gale Welsh, Mr. Justice Malcolm Rowe, and Mr. Justice Richard LeBlanc. The present resident Judges are Mr. Justice Alan Seaborn and Madam Justice Gillian Butler.