COURT OF APPEAL RULES REVISION AND AUGMENTATION OF PRACTICE NOTES IN CIVIL PROCEEDINGS
- With the adoption of the new Court of Appeal Rules governing civil proceedings, many of the existing Practice Notes issued by the Court under rule 57 of the Rules of the Supreme Court, 1986, will be obsolete or inaccurate and require revision or repeal.
- As a result, the Court has prepared a new set of Practice Notes to provide guidance with respect to the operation of the new Rules, effective on the date when those Rules come into force
- (a) all Practice Notes issued by the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador, Court of Appeal before October 17, 2016 no longer apply to civil proceedings in the Court, and
- (b) the following Practice Notes are issued pursuant to rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Rules, NLR 38/16.
- The Index preceding the individual Practice Notes is provided for guidance but does not form part of the Practice Notes.
Note: The links below are PDFs and will open in a new window.
- PN 1 Contents of Notice of Appeal (13 KB)
- PN 2 Leave to Appeal (17 KB)
- PN 3 Appeals Involving Children (16 KB)
- PN 4 Constitution of Five-Judge Panel for Possible Reconsideration of Decision (19 KB)
- PN 5 Service of Documents (10 KB)
- PN 6 Making a Request (15 KB)
- PN 7 Staying an Order Pending Appeal (11 KB)
- PN 8 Court Calendar – Designated Hearing Days (15 KB)
- PN 9 Setting the Date for Hearing an Appeal (18 KB)
- PN 10 Documents Submitted After Hearing Date is Set and Replacement Material (13 KB)
- PN 11 Transcript and Agreed Statement of Facts (20 KB)
- PN 12 Appeal Book, Factum and Transcript (16 KB)
- PN 13 Formal Orders (14 KB)
- PN 14 Appearing in Court (10 KB)
- PN 15 Frequently Cited Cases - Civil (39 KB)
- PN 16 Frequently Cited Cases - Criminal (49 KB)