To participate in the Family Violence Intervention Court, the accused must:
- Be an adult (18 years or older).
- Be charged with a family violence offence(s) which includes any criminal offence involving their partner or ex-partner.
- Be charged with an offence(s) where the sentence could legally be served in the community, such as a conditional sentence. A community sentence does not include time served in prison. If the accused is charged with an offence that automatically has a mandatory period of imprisonment, then the accused is not eligible.
- Participate in a risk assessment and the results of the assessment must show that the risk level matches the family violence programming being offered.
- Accept responsibility for their actions by entering a guilty plea, which will be done after considering the advice of a lawyer.
- Participate in family violence programming.
- Agree to information sharing amongst the FVIC Team.
- Agree to be supervised by the Bail Supervisor (Adult Probation) and to follow conditions as set by the judge.