Community Focus Committee
The Community Focus Committee strives to promote a sense of community amongst employees by encouraging volunteerism and providing them with opportunities to plan and participate in organized volunteer activities. These include fundraising and other charitable involvements that address needs in Newfoundland and Labrador communities.
- Relay for Life (June 2012) - Members of Provincial Court St. John's took part in Relay for Life on June 15. This event is a 12 hour overnight relay in aid of cancer research. The evening included theme laps, Minute to Win It contests, karaoke, Zumba workouts, scavenger hunts, paper dress contests, and live music. In total, over $1500 was raised for cancer research by Provincial Court staff and their supporters.
- Coppers for Katie (June 2012) - Provincial Court staff collected and donated over $600 worth of pennies to the Coppers for Katie fundraiser for the Janeway Children's Hospital Foundation.
- Operation Christmas Child (December 2011) - The committee worked with Samaritan's Purse on Operation Christmas Child, a project that collects and distributes shoe boxes full of toys, school supplies, candy and hygiene items to children worldwide. The St. John's Provincial Court donated 50 boxes, which were shipped to countries such as Costa Rica, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, and Sierra Leone.
- Janeway Children's Hospital Foundation Telethon (June 2010) - 5 Provincial Court staff members took pledges during the live telethon. In addition, through penny collections and 50/50 draws, more than $1765.00 was raised to donate to helping sick children and their families.
- CIBC Run for the Cure (October 2010) - Staff raised money through 50/50 draws, donation-based pancake breakfasts and hot dog lunches, and pledges, before completing the Run for the Cure route around Quidi Vidi Lake. More than $3600.00 was raised to help in the fight against breast cancer.
- Community Food Sharing Association (December 2010) - Provincial Court sponsored a family of 5 for the holidays, providing them with gifts and Christmas dinner. Staff members donated individual food items, toys, games and clothes, and extra funds were raised through 50/50 draws. Donations exceeded expectations and were used to present a Sobeys gift card to the family, in addition to donations of juice and milk to the Salvation Army's New Hope Community Centre, which is committed to providing healthy meals to the homeless and underprivileged.